Monday, June 10, 2013

Are You Sure You Got The Right Sister Derrick?


Hello Everyone! 

This week has been super weird... Between zone conference, Interviews with President, Firesides, exchanges, and car issues, I only got to spend 2 days actually in my area. I've got to say, I really missed being able to do 'missionary work'!  

Biggest part of my week: On Tuesday, I got to have an interview with President Holm. He talked a lot about the mission splitting, and my zone becoming the Georgia Macon Mission... then he paused... kinda looked up at the ceiling for a second, and then said that he was feeling prompted to Transfer me, Because I needed to be a part of his mission. Whoa. I felt so special!  

-Fast Forward- 

On Friday, Sister Houston called president to see if her visa had come in yet. They had a 30 second conversation, and then he asked to speak with me. She handed the phone over, and president let me know that not only was I being transferred, but I was being called as the sister trainer leader over my new zone, I was whitewashing an area (missionary lingo: I’m going to be basically re-booting an area... starting from scratch), and I would be training a new sister... 

I about dropped the phone. 

I'd never felt so overwhelmed in my life! I accepted the assignment, and then I took some time to talk it over with the Lord. I spent a good chunk of time asking my Heavenly Father what I could do to help this new trainee, What I needed to know to work in this new area, how I could be bold enough to lead my new zone... And then I realized how many times I had used the pronoun "I". My self-absorption was staring me in the face. The Lord told me that missionary work has nothing to do with "I". "I" am not going to convert ANYONE. "I" cannot help ANYONE. I realized that in order to have any semblance of peace, I have to trust the Lord. I have to KNOW that he will never leave me hanging. If I do all I can, He promises me that He will make up the rest. I know what He's promised me... I just need to trust Him enough to believe that He will do what He says He can do.  

I've found great solace in Nephi’s words, just after the death of his father. He has a huge weight on his shoulders... Not only is he mourning the loss of his dad, He's responsible for the beginnings of a whole nation! He starts to talk about his weaknesses "I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me, and when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins" He felt totally inadequate... but I love what he says next. "Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support; He hath led me through mine afflictions" I know that the Lord has called me to do something really hard for a really good reason. He has faith that I can do it, so why should I think any different? I am so grateful for a Father in Heaven who loves me enough to scare me :) 

So, Next week I'll be in a new state, in a new area, having a new adventure... Can't wait to write about it!
Ya'll have a blessed day!

Sister Derrick 

P.S. Just to clear up, I’m still going to be a SCCM (South Carolina, Columbia Mission) missionary. Kami just wrote me back all confused.... haha. I hope I didn’t confuse anyone!

Bryndee's last picture with the deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment