Monday, August 12, 2013

Unashamed and Happy :)


K, First off, returning and reporting from last week: the author of "Find Me" is Greg W Haws (Aug. 1973) go read it right now!
One of our new investigators is Dennis. Dennis is a 70 year old man who has had a hard life. He did 3 tours in Vietnam, has lost almost all of his family, and was paralyzed at the c3 vertebrae. His paralysis was a result of a neck surgery that was done in order to avoid a massive stroke, and the doctors said that he wouldn’t live. Not only did he live, but he is now fully able to walk. He is one of the most inspiring men I’ve ever met. When we first met him, he told us his story “not because I want any pity or adulation, but to prove that there is someone above doctors.” Dennis has been baptized into just about every single church you can imagine, but none of them ever stuck. We promised him that his baptism on the 31st of August will be the last baptism he ever has to do ;) He has more faith than anyone I’ve ever met! We taught him the word of wisdom on Saturday. We had just finished telling him what it was and were about to start into promised blessings, but before we could promise him anything, he told us “okay, this is going to be really hard for me… I’ve smoked since I was 15 years old. But I’m going to do it!” That’s just how Dennis is. We teach him, he takes the night to study it out, and then he pretty much commits himself. He’s awesome! I don’t know that there’s really such thing as a golden investigator, but if there were, he would be one.
This week was the Big Lift! I got to go up to Easley, SC to work with Sister Robinson. I love that girl! She’s hilarious! Right now, she and Sister Mumford are teaching a guy named Bo. He’s a 17 year old skater punk who “only believes in science” (insert Nacho Lebre voiceJ) we taught him about the nature of God and the Book of Mormon, and he skeptically agreed to read a chapter we assigned. Fast forward a couple days to our no more stranger’s fireside. (Did I explain NMS? It’s basically a missionary fireside, attended by investigators recent converts and returning members) Bo gets pulled aside into a 20 min interview with President Holm. Talk about Intense!!! Testimony of how awesome President Holm is- Bo walked into that interview not even believing in God, and walked out wanting to be baptized. Awesome experience.
Another cool fireside miracle: Joe is someone who has been investigating the church for YEARS. His wife is a returning member, so he knows a ton about the church, and has been working on reading the Book of Mormon. Sis. Belyea and I were trying to figure out how to help him to progress, and so we invited him to the fireside. He came, (although he was slightly confused by the lack of campfire) and he loved it! And He has finally decided to be baptized as well! He is so excited to be able to be sealed to his wife in a year J
Also- I somehow got roped into doing the musical number for the fireside. I don’t know why they keep asking me…. I’m not really very musical. Something President Holm says: “those who are comfortable doing uncomfortable things, have comfortable lives.” I figure Heavenly Father is just trying to help me to have a comfortable life, by making me uncomfortable every chance he gets J
A lesson in southern, given to us by Bryson:
Blessing you out- the southern equivalent of cussing someone out.
Mashing the button- turning on and off the light.
Turkey- a mildly irritating person (what he lovingly calls our district leader, elder KerrJ)
Cut the tv- turn off the television
Bryson finally got his quad in the mail this week, and is doing great!
A cool quote I found this week:
"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The dye has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made; I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tinted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am lifted up in prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed, will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table with the enemy, pander at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. When He returns for His own He will have no problem recognizing me, my banner is clear”. –Henry B Eyring
I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!
Y’all have a blessed week,
S. Derrick

No comments:

Post a Comment