Monday, November 11, 2013

Nothin' Could Be Finer...


So, randomly before I start the bulk of my letter, an announcement: remember Dennis Barry? The 70 year old veteran I was teaching with Sister Belyea in Simpsonville? So, Yesterday I got word that he GOT BAPTIZED!!!! It was such a bittersweet moment when I found out. I’m so, so happy for him…. I just wish I could have been there! I bet he had the BIGGEST smile on his face when he came out of that water… he wanted it so bad. I’m so proud of him J
Okay, now for my crazy ridiculous week. We went on 4 exchanges this week! I feel like I haven't seen my actual companions in a month.... but it’s been such a good week. I started with exchanges with Sister Boyson, and then with Sister Gale, and then with Sister Lester, and finished off the week with a stake program called mini-missions (where the youth get to go on exchanges with the missionaries, from 8:30 in the morning until 9:00 at night. So fun.), so my companion was a 16 year old sister from Boiling Springs named Sister Jones. I don’t think I have ever been so exhausted. (I know I say that a lot… But I really mean it this week.) It’s been really, really hard, but so uplifting to serve with so many phenomenal missionaries. I’m excited to get to spend this next week with the sisters in Union, Greenville 2nd, and Boiling Springs.
Things that happened this week:
(In no particular order, mostly because I can’t remember it…)
-Sister Gale, Stout and I put Whitley on date for baptism. I think I’ve written a little about her? She’s a 20 something girl with more sass than Kymber (and that’s impressive!) She is SO. Much. Fun to teach! Anyways, she has been having a hard time believing that she can change. She carries around a lot of guilt and shame for things that have happened in the past, and she wasn’t sure if she was ready to be baptized. We were able to testify to her of the power of the atonement, and let her know that her Heavenly Father loved her too much to let her carry all that around with her. It was such a cool spiritual moment!
-I tried Zaxby’s for the first time. Oh my heavens…. We need to get some of those out west.
-We started a 40 day fast in our ward. Every day, for 40 days, we have a family sign up to fast for missionary work. The first day, Sister Bowman had signed up to fast (the one with the dog?). She wanted to help so badly, but she can’t medically fast from food… so what did she fast from? Facebook Games. J It made me so happy!
-Larry is back on date. He had stopped progressing, so we were getting ready to give him a break. We went over to let him know that we probably wouldn’t be seeing him for a little while, and ended up having a super powerful lesson. He prayed, right then and there, to know if the Mormon Church was the church that Heavenly Father wanted him to go to, and the spirit filled the room so thick you could almost touch it. He stands up, and says that he wants to go to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the rest of his life, even if he has to walk. Awesome moment.
-S. McNeece (by the spirit, mind you…) promised a pretty fantastic blessing to someone. Yeah. She promised someone a girlfriend. J
-We found a new trailer park to knock! Who knew I would grow to love trailer parks and projects so much???
- We had a crazy lesson with a less active sister in the 2nd ward. She kept going off on tangents, and we had to try to bridge her tangents back to the gospel. Who knew you could relate the headless horseman to Enos? J
-I met a Layton from Thatcher! Small world, huh?
-Jeffery, our less active we have been working with in the 1st ward, FINALLY came to church yesterday!!! :D :D :D He had a blast! He walked up to us after Relief Society/ Priesthood, and told us “yall can’t come by after church anymore…” we were a little worried…. But then he follows up with a HUGE grin, and says “I’m not going to be home. I’m goin’ home teachin’!!!!” Best. Moment. Ever.
Jeffery has also told us that he wants to take us to the super bowl (apparently he has tickets…) along with Elder lamb, who he really seems to like for some reason. J
So, there’s my week. Nothin’ could be finer, than serving in south carolin-er! ;
Yall have a blessed week!
S. Derrick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment