Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Season 7, Grand Fanale!


My week…well, my week was pretty good.  I think there’s this funny phenomenon as a missionary where you sit down to review your week and you can’t remember a single…solitary…thing that happened!  That’s me right now.  So in no particular order…my week:
We started teaching Brad this week!  Brad is a 21 year old guy with a really really troubled past.  He’s been wanting to change his life for quite some time but never could seem to break the cycle he was in.  Well we’ve taught him twice this week (restoration & plan of salvation) and he’s on date to be baptized for the 25th.  I have never seen someone so excited to be baptized…he has caught the fire of the Gospel!  He’s even doing more missionary work that the members down here!  So far he’s brought a friend to church, invited the lady down the street to hear the missionary lessons, and he even committed someone to be baptized for us!  God is sure blessing us and we’re doing our very best to deserve it!  J
One night we were knocking in a neighborhood chuck-full of DNC’s (do not contact…scary stuff!) we were doing our very best to avoid the people who were mean, and knocked right into a miracle instead J  We were walking and there was a guy outside taking a  break from his football game, and smoking up a storm.  We started talking to him and it turns out he had just been thinking about how he needed to find a good church to join for the New Year.  Perfect!  We just happen to have a really fantastic one off of Bacons Bridge Road!  J  We gave him a BOM. explained what it was, and are super excited to go back J
I got to teach Mission Prep last night…oh my heavens…teenage boys start out as such awkward teachers!  It was hilarious!  But we taught a pretty good lesson, if I do say so myself!  J
Kitt bought us an ASL Book of Mormon!  It’s on DVD, and has people sighing…way neat!  J  My goal is to be able to sign my testimony by the end of next month…wish me luck!
I got to go on exchanges with Sister Warden on Monday!  Remember her, who lived with me in Simpsonville?  She was so fun to work with!  President Holm always talks aout how we should work with urgency, bordering on emergency and Sister Warden has mastered that!  She’s got more energy and drive than anyone I’ve ever met!  J
MLC this week!  They announced tons of meetings coming up (miles are gonna be fun this month!) including another big lift, and no more strangers, and specialized training by President/Sister Holms (I Pads?  Who knows…)  Here is a sublist of President Holm’s quotes:
             1.  “We have finite number of clean slates”
2. “You show me a person who strives to do the Father’s will and I’ll show you someone who's celestial material"
3. “The new day has nothing to do with the past day”
4.  “Honesty is the only answer, 100% of the time, no matter the consequences”
President talked a lot about the Savior, and how almost everything we have recorded of him happened with a span of 3 years.  Three years and yet the things that occurred were so important, the world changed its calendar according to his life.  Crazy!
The Brethren have also asked us to double the # of baptisms.  Whoa!  The work is hastening, guys.  Israel is being gathered.
I got to give a training @ our Zone meeting.  20 minutes on being a “fire in the belly” missionary.  I know my family is dying at the thought of me standing in front of people and running my mouth for 20 minutes. ..It’s hard enough getting me to talk for 5.  But I actually do it about twice a month.  It’s good stuff.  It was a cool training to plan for.  As I researched what I was going to say I realized that almost every time the scriptures refer to “fire’ they’re referring to the Holy Ghost.  Ex : The baptism of water and fire…God descending in a pillar of fire…the spirit of God like a fire is burning…I could go on.  There’s a reason that people describe the Holy Spirit as warm!  Being a “fire in the belly” missionary is simply having the spirit with you.  That’s what gets you excited and pumped…that’s what gives you the miracles.  Cool training to give.  J
Welp there’s my week.  It was pretty good one.  Hope y’all enjoyed your New-Year’s celebrations, and I see ya next week!
Y’all have a blessed week,
Sister Derrick

No comments:

Post a Comment