Thursday, February 27, 2014

Vision

So I’m sitting in a park right now, it’s like 70 degrees, there’s a man sitting on a bench playing the guitar. I’ve got no shoes on and I’m sitting cross-legged in the grass. I’m pretty sure life could not get more perfect than this. I love being a SCCM missionary…FOR REALS!!!!
This week, I lost Sister Lamb. She was such an amazing companion. She taught me so much about myself and about being a leader, and about being who I am, and not who people expect me to be. Seriously, such an inspired companionship. But…I’m super happy to have Sister Alexis Glauser from St. George, Utah! She’s 5 foot 3, Super enthusiastic, and says “literally” a lot…especially when she doesn’t mean things literally. She’s great!
 
New Companionships:
Sister ? and Sister Lamb; Sister Glauser and Bryndee

 
Sister Glauser and Bryndee with lots of animals...I guess it's common for people to have many large house pets.
Heavenly Father is sure blessing this area…people are just popping out of the woodwork, wanting to be taught. I honestly don’t think it’s because of any thing we’re doing either…I think it’s because of the faithfulness and prayers of the Summerville 1st ward. This ward is amazing. For example we were invited to the Priesthood Executive Committee meeting on Sunday (first time ever by the way). Where they spent like 20 minutes talking about the retention of Kitt, who’s not even baptized yet, and helping him to fell needed and included in the ward. It was just so cool to see a Bishop so focused on the individual, not numbers and statistics and finances.
Let me take a min and dedicate a paragraph to Elena. Elena was on fire this week! It started with her getting her Patriarchal Blessing. Oh my heavens! She invited us to sit in, and it was completely amazing. Now, she’s sharing the gospel like crazy! She brought a friend with her to church, and has a family slated to come with her next week…she’s just so cool!
So remember all those Saturday afternoons I used to spend watching HGTV & DIY channel? That totally came in hand this week! (see mom I wasn’t anti-social, just inspired) We did quite a bit of service this week, including hanging pictures & tearing up linoleum. It was great fun!
So spiritual thought o’ the week: I’ve been thinking a lot lately about vision; who we want to become, what we want to happen, what we see for our loved ones, etc. More specifically, I’ve been thinking about my vision, and the Lord’s vision for the sisters in the Charleston Zone. Right now most of the sisters in the zone are hardcore struggling, and Sister Glauser and I have been trying to figure out how best to help them. Well I was reading in 3 Nephi 13:22, where it says “the light of the body is the eye, if, therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light!” President Holm told me once that “there are no problems in the world but lack of vision; vision of the Fatherhood of God, and the brotherhood of man.” The purpose of the eye (tying it back to my scripture…) is to see it’s vision. And if we can get our Sister’s eyes single to what they’re supposed to be single to, they’ll progress. I don’t know if that makes as much sense on paper as it does in my head, but it was a cool moment when we were able to receive direction from Heavenly Father on Exactly what his children need.
Welp, that’s my letter this week. Hope ya’ll have a blessed week!
Love,
Sister Derrick

No comments:

Post a Comment