Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Week of Many Meetings, Among Other Things!


So, apparently in other states, they have this cool thing called “fall”…. Let me explain it for the other Arizonians out there. It gets kind of coldish outside, and all the trees start changing funky colors, and it’s absolutely BEAUTIFULL!!!! Who knew weather like this existed!
It’s been a super full week, jam-packed with police run-ins, crying investigators, awesome meetings, and Prophets of God.
We kicked off the week with LTM (Leadership Training Meeting) where we got to spend 2 days in Irmo learning how to be better missionaries. I got to see a lot of people from my old zone (I miss Greenville!!!) and hang out with President and Sister Holm at the mission home. What really stuck with me from that meeting was about adversity. President quoted Neil A Maxwell and said “How can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, “Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!” We cannot expect to live life both faith-filled and stress free. It just doesn’t work.
 
A morning walk in Irmo, SC
 
Sister McNeece and Bryndee with "some dam" behind them.  She isn't too good with details.  But I guess I can't complain it's a picture and she is in it!  :)
So, on Friday (Sister Belyea’s birthday! Happy birthday Sister Belyea!!!) we met this girl named Whitley, who was on her way to some “endevilment” but stayed to talk to us. She was so impressed that we’d be out in the ghetto, in the dark (don’t worry, we were safe!) talking with people. “Y’all should carry a gun! You could just write Jesus on it!” J She commented on how happy we were, and how it just made her happy! We’re pretty excited to go back and teach her this week.
We also met a lady named Ethel (reminds me of my momJ) she had just recently lost her husband, and just wanted someone to talk to her to ease the loneliness. We were able to testify of the plan of salvation and assure her that she’d see her husband again. She told us that she’d answered the door with a splitting migraine, ready to send us on our way… but once she got talking with us, her headache disappeared. Way cool J
General Conference. I LOVE GENERAL CONFRENCE!!!! This conference was really good, but not in the way I expected. I didn’t get a whole ton from the talks themselves (yet. I’m re-reading them this week.) But I got a lot of things to study and work on from the spirit. My favorite talk was definitely Richard G Scott. He took one of my favorite stories, and told it from a perspective I’d never thought about. Here is a link to the talk she is refering to. 
Sorry this is a kind of short letter, but life is good, God is great, and I love being a missionary!
Y’all have a blessed week!
S. Derrick
This is Bryndee’s Mom here I asked her about the “Police Run-ins” because I was a little curious and she failed to explain herself and this was her reply …”oh, we freaked someone out.... they called the police.... it happens a lot :)”  So I’m guessing no big deal.
 


Sister Derrick and Sister McNeece's goal chart.
 


Fun Girls!

 
Washing the car...always a fun activity!
 
 
Cute Sister McNeece!
 

 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment