Monday, October 28, 2013

What Would A Holy Woman Do?


Hello everyone! Hope y’all had a great week!
Sooooo……..Church yesterday. Oh. My. Heavens. It was really fun, but soooooo very exhausting. There is a good reason why church is 3 hours, and not 6.
We had a baptism this week! In the 2nd ward, they’ve been teaching a lady named Ashley, whose mother in law is in the 1st ward. So, we’d been getting updates on how it was going from the mother in law, and then when the areas merged, we got to teach and baptize her! It was way cool. We had her 7 year old daughter sing “I’m A Child of God” at the baptism, and oh my heavens, it was beautiful. She started out really quiet (She was kind of scared) but then when it got to the final chorus, she got this huge smile on her face and belted it out “lead me, guide me, walk beside me. Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do, to live with Him someday!” The spirit in that room was so powerful, testifying that we really do have a Heavenly Father who loves us. There was not a dry eye in the room.

 
Ashley and all that were involved in her baptism.
 
 
Ashley and her family.
So, exchanges this week: Simpsonville!! I got to go on an exchange with S. Steimlie, and stay in my old apartment!!! It was way weird going back, but it was great to see S. Belyea again, and see how all my investigators down there are doing J Sister Steimlie is way cool, and I was happy to get to work with her. We met this really cool girl down there, who was really into YouTube. We told her who we were and she got really excited. “Oh! There’s these youtubers (apparently, youtuber is a real thing.) I’m obsessed with who are Mormons! They always seem so happy…. It’s cool. I want to be happy like that. I’m glad you came.” I kid you not. It was like something straight out of a conference talk! We were so excited! I love that the Lord really does prepare people to receive the missionaries, and to hear about the gospel. J
On Tuesday, we got the opportunity to go to a Sisters Conference. We talked a lot about being holy women of God. Sister Holm gave us a cool homework assignment. “"What would a holy woman do?"

In thinking about how to learn about holiness, I'm wondering if for these days leading up to our Sisters Conference. Would you be willing to, just once each day, purposely choose one of your daily activities and try to “be holy” while doing it, or do it as a holy woman would do it. For example, how would a holy woman start her day? What would be on her “to do” list? How would a holy woman approach a difficult assignment or a new overwhelming project? How would she read to a child, or exercise? How would she talk with a friend, or shop, or play, or pray, or do laundry?

How would a holy woman handle a conflict or avoid a conflict? What would she read, or say, or listen to, or watch, or wear? What would she do in really difficult situations? If someone said something to her that was confusing, or hurtful, or demoralizing, how would a holy woman respond? What would she do? If she were betrayed, or misunderstood, or falsely accused, what would a holy woman do?
How would a holy woman respond to her own success or failure? How would she respond to the successes and failures of others? How would a holy woman use her time and energy and money? How would she prepare to partake of the sacrament each Sunday?”
As we got to do this, I learned a ton about meekness. A few days after receiving that assignment, there was an Elder that very harshly corrected something that he felt I should be doing better. I was pretty irritated at him, because I felt like I had just been thrown into a difficult assignment, and was still trying to figure it out. As I sat down and fumed, a scripture came to my mind “my [daughter], Despise not the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him. For whom the Lord loveth, he chasteneth.” I thought, how would a holy woman react? I calmed down a bit, and let the spirit teach me. I know that the Lord (and maybe even this Elder) chastens me, because he knows it will help me grow, and become more than I currently am. It’s uncomfortable, but effective.
I hope that this week is a great one, and the Lord teaches you lots and lots!
Y’all have a blessed week,
Sister Derrick
 
Elder Hansen, Elder Braxton Montgomery, Bryndee, and Sister Stout.
Braxton is from Bryndee's home town.   Ron is his Stake President, he was on Porter's tennis team, and his sister is one of Torie's best friends. To say Bryndee was a little excited to see someone from home is an understatement!

Apparently there is no cursing in South Carolina.  If that's the case I'm ready to move there NOW!!!
 

 
Bryndee and Sister McNeece with some YUMMY Ice Cream.
 
 
Looks like things haven't changed.  Once her nose is a book a bomb could explode and she wouldn't even realize it.
 
 
Bryndee and her best tracting face!
 
 

 
The 3 Nephites!  Their costumes for the ward Trunk or Treat party. 
 
 
Bryndee:  Sister Nephi
 
 
Sister McNeece:  Sister of Jared
 
 
Sister Stout:  Sister Abinadi
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Regarding "How would a holy woman handle a conflict or avoid a conflict?" - my answer is found in Matt 7:12 - All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets!

    ReplyDelete