Monday, October 14, 2013

Smile :-)


I got a new journal this week, and I've been writing in it like crazy, so I actually remember most of what happened this week! Now, I just need to decide what to write about. If only there weren't time limits.....

This week, we've been working with quite a few less actives. Down in woodruff (the middle of our area) there are quite a few members who went to the Laurens branch before it merged with Simpsonville. They have testimonies, but they feel like Spartanburg is a little too far to go for church... We got the opportunity to bear testimony to them and I got to share my favorite scripture with them....3 Nephi 17:19-22. This scripture takes place right as Jesus Christ is in the middle of his visit with the Nephites. He has just taught them how to pray, and they are all around him, on their knees, talking with their Father in Heaven. The verses read “And it came to pass that Jesus spake unto them, and bade them arise. And they arose from the earth, and he said unto them: Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full. And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again;” I love this depiction of the savior, because if you think about it, Jesus Christ has just come from Jerusalem, where the people had very little interest in what he had to teach, or in becoming more like him. In fact, they brutally killed him. There’s a very famous scripture in Ether that talks about how after the trial of your faith comes the miracles. After what must have been a huge trial of Christ’s faith, He got to come here, to America. Here, he had been prophesied of for centuries, and he was received by a people ready to hear what he had to say. This is the second time (that I’ve been able to find, at least) that Jesus Christ cries. The tears he sheds are tears of joy, as he blesses this faithful group of people. He tells them “blessed are ye, because of your faith…. And now behold, my joy is full.” I want more than anything for Jesus Christ to be able to say that about me. As I shared this with one particular sister, she got really quiet. I don’t think she was super comfortable with the reminder of what the spirit felt like, and its absence in her life. As S. McNeece said the closing prayer, her eyes filled with tears. It was a super powerful lesson, and one I hope sticks with her.

Transfers are this week. On Transfer-calls Saturday, we got a text from president Holm “Sisters, please call concerning transfers when you get a moment. President Holm.”

My stomach dropped.

We called, and I was positive I was going to get transferred, but what came next was a happy surprise… “Sister, I feel Inspired to call you as Sister Training Leaders…: Oh! J I’m pretty excited… this should be a good transfer J

We also started teaching a guy named Scott this week. We found Scott because he’s the twin brother of a Less- Active member we’ve been working with (it’s horrible…. I mix them up all the time, because they’re Identical!!!) He is pretty darn excited to be baptized. We taught him about the restoration on Wednesday.

Us- “Scott, what did Joseph Smith do to find out what church was right?”

Scott- “he asked God?”

Us- “Right! And what did God tell him?”

Scott- “The latter-day saints?”

Erm…. Well, Kinda? J

So, scary part of the week- on Thursday night, I got a call from S. Mchayley (one of the sisters I live with) saying they were going to be home late, because S. Stout, her companion, was in the hospital. I guess she and S. Warden were on an exchange, and they were knocking doors, and S. Stout randomly passed out! She ended up with a concussion, and was experiencing some scary memory loss. The poor dear. We ended up splitting our two areas between S. Mchayley, S. McNeece, and I. luckily, S. Stout is much better.

We got to go to the Temple on Thursday!! It was completely wonderful. Because of the sacred nature of the ordinances preformed there, I won’t say much about it, other than it was so good to make promises with God, and feel the peace that resides in his holy house.

Bryndee's district outside the South Carolian Temple.
 


Sister Graves was kind enough to take them to the Temple.
 

 
Bryndee and her companion, Sister McNeece, cute girls! 
 
 

On that note, I end my letter. I hope y’all are sharing the gospel like crazy.

Y’all have a blessed week!!! :D

S. Derrick



The socks that S. Mchayley's mom sent us :)  There are 2 companionships living in their apt.
 

 
The ugly grandma print blanket she bought...she was cold...if only she could have waited a week I have a really nice blanket free from ugly grandma print going to her. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment